sexta-feira, 28 de maio de 2010

Initial preparations - GSoC 2010 - English

During the Community Bonding Period, I talked a lot with my mentor, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais, and also with other developers of phpPgAdmin community, about my activities. In my first activity, I had to create a development environment, to use during the Google Summer of Code.

It is composed of:

  • Operation System Linux Ubuntu;
  • Apache;
  • PHP;
  • Postgresql (postgresql-7.4.26, postgresql-8.0.24, postgresql-8.1.20, postgresql-8.2.7, postgresql-8.3.9, postgresql-8.4.3, postgresql-9.0beta1);
  • Scripts to make tests;


I am also using the plugins of Firefox:

  • Firebug
  • Web Developer
  • Selenium

The reason I need to use all these versions of Postgresql is regression testing. In other words, what I developed using a versão of PostgreSQL, must work with other. Because exists a lot of DBA's that use the phpPgAdmin to manager their databases PostgreSQL.

I also created a script to recover my development environment. This is very important because it is only three months of work very well planned, where any unexpected can be a big problem.

During this period, I also learned to use a new system for version control, the GIT. I have experience with Subversion (SVN), and I have already worked with Mercurial and CVS. I have already had contact with GIT before, but nothing very professional. It is not very different from SVN, and my mentor helped me a lot during my adaptation with GIT. Certantly this is another positive point in my career.

The GIT commands that I will use can be found in the PostgreSQL Wiki, clicking here.

My projetct also can be found in the PostgreSQL Wiki, to access it click here.

Once again I thank my mentor, the PostgreSQL organization, the phpPgAdmin projetct and the Google for the wonderful opportunity.

Nenhum comentário: